Now THAT is street food: San Francisco
- Lucky River restaurant in San Francisco caught practicing questionable food preparation techniques
- Chef was filmed beating the meat on the street in the Sunnyside neighborhood
- Apparently staff didn’t think anything was wrong with the practice when they were confronted about it
- Owner later said the meat wasn’t served at the restaurant
Watching a chef at a San Francisco restaurant slam frozen meat into the sidewalk is enough to make your stomach turn, not to mention the customers who may have had the misfortune of eating it.
Captured on video outside Lucky River, a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco’s Sunnyside neighborhood, the chef appears to lift and slam two slabs of beef up and down onto the ground.
When a concerned inspector from the city’s health department arrived to question the apparently bemused staff, they simply said the man was attempting to tenderize the meat and ‘defrost’ it by beating it off the concrete.
Crash: The man was simply trying to tenderize the frozen meat before cooking it he and the restaurant later explained
However, when local news made the trip down to examine the exact section of sidewalk they discovered it was covered in gum, cigarette butts and general filth.
The owner of the restaurant said that the defrosting incident was an isolated one and that the meat was never used in any meals.
Man ‘tenderizes’ steak outside San Francisco restaurant
According to KPIX, Lucky River scored a satisfactory rating on its last health inspection.
However, reviews on Yelp have been less than generous, with one person mentioning a boiled caterpillar in the vegetables.
‘Yup. They boiled a caterpillar, Extra protein I guess,’ they wrote.
‘I won’t eat there again,’ said Lacey. ‘I will not eat there at all.’
After seeing the shocking video, the San Francisco Public Health Department gave the owners of Lucky River just one month to clean up their act or face closure.
If the owners do not get their staff to enroll in an eight-hour Food Manager Class, earn and print food handlers cards and go on remedial food safety courses within one month, the restaurant will be forced to close.
Sourced from www.dailymail.co.uk