Mother finds giant dead cockroach in bag of Tesco Rich In Flavour spinach – after already eating half the pack
- Laura Platt, 27, found the insect among the pre-washed leaves from Tesco
- Claims she was ill after eating half of the pack before she noticed the insect
- Beauty salon owner turns down £20 ‘good will’ voucher from supermarket
- Tesco apologises and says it is investigating the grim find with supplier
Disgusted: Laura Platt, 27, found a dead cockroach in her bag of Tesco Rich in Flavour spinach after she had already eaten half of the pack
A mother said she was ‘disgusted’ to find a dead cockroach in her bag of Tesco Rich In Flavour spinach after she had already eaten half of the pack.
Laura Platt, 27, said she vomited after finding the insect among the pre-washed vegetable leaves, and says the experience has put her off leafy greens.
The beauty salon owner, from Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex, has turned down a ‘good will’ gesture of a £20 voucher from Tesco, which says it is investigating the incident.
‘I love greens and ate half a bag of it shortly after buying it, cooking it and mixing it into some pasta,’ said Mrs Platt, who has two sons.
‘I was really poorly afterwards for about two days, but I didn’t know what could have caused it.
‘To get myself better I thought I needed more vitamins so decided to cook the rest of the spinach.
‘That’s when I found the cockroach. I couldn’t believe my eyes.
‘I was so shocked that I went and threw up for about 20 minutes.
‘It was disgusting. I haven’t eaten any greens since, it’s really put me off which is a shame.
‘I can’t imagine how it got in there as the stuff is meant to be washed. Maybe it crawled in afterwards.’
Mrs Platt took photos and put the cockroach in a tub before taking it back to Tesco, where staff told her she should have gone to the doctors if she had been sick.
She later followed up the complaint with a phone call to the customer services line.
‘In the shop the staff said they would put it down as a formal complaint,’ she said.
‘When I rang, the woman said I should have gone to a doctor straight away and got a sick note.
‘Because I didn’t, she said I can’t prove I was sick in the first place because of the cockroach.
‘But I’m a busy working mum and would have had to cancel loads of clients.
Discovery: Mrs Platt found the cockroach after returning to the half-eaten pack of pre-washed spinach
‘I thought sending me a voucher was a bit of a joke really.
‘I don’t think that’s acceptable.’
Tesco offered to apologise in writing to Mrs Platt, who bought the spinach at its store in Burgess Hill, West Sussex.
A spokesman said: ‘We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our food and we were sorry to hear of this incident.
‘We are investigating the issue with our supplier and will keep Mrs Platt informed with the findings.
‘We have also offered Mrs Platt a gesture of goodwill for any inconvenience caused.’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk