30 problems only people that work in retail will understand
1. When a customer asks how something looks and it’s NOT good…
2. Being given a zero-hour contract which should really be renamed the ‘zero rights’ contract.
3. When a customer tries to return something and insists the food stains and B.O stench were part of the original design. SURE.
4. SALE SEASON.
5. When a customer asks if something’s in stock and you know it’s not but they just think you’re being too lazy to check.
6. When your overuse of your staff discount essentially means you’re putting your wages back into the company and working for free.
7. When you have to smile, like, all day. #Effort
8. Having to leave your phone in your locker
9. When you phone in sick and you can feel your boss’s hateful glare burning through the phone with the power of a thousand suns.
10. When someone wants something off a mannequin. On a Saturday afternoon. And everyone’s on lunch.
11. Tidying sale.
12. When you have to do standards.
13. When you’re too nice to a customer and they start rattling off their life story to you.
14. When it’s your turn to cash up which means you get to stay later than everyone else. YAY.
15. Getting called in to work a shift at the last minute. Bye bye, weekend.
16. When you get stuck on fitting room duty with a colleague you hate
17. Doing standards on an item that has loads of buttons.
18. When you’re forced to to greet people at the door even though everyone knows ALL customers detest this.
19. When it’s your turn to sort the hanger bins
20. When you’ve put the receipt in the customer’s bag and they THEN ask for it in their purse instead of just taking it out of the bag themselves which would’ve been easier for all involved. Ahem.
21. Getting told off by your boss for chatting on the shop floor
22. When someone hands you back a bundle of clothes in one hand, and five empty hangers in the other.
23. When you want to close the shop and one customer is browsing soooooo sloowwwlllyyyyyy.
24. When someone leaves a disgusting souvenir for you in the fitting room.
25. When your rota gets changed without anyone thinking to inform you.
26. When you’re REALLY hungover and have to interact with humans all day. Ugh.
27. When you have to work New Year’s Day even though NOBODY shops on New Year’s Day.
28. When someone says they have 6 items and are ‘accidentally’ concealing an extra two.
29. When you have a rude customer and you have to be nothing but nice when you’re really thinking:
But on the bright side…
Enduring all of the above DOES teach you to never shop like a dickhead.